- 1 Can you have more than one wife in Indonesia?
- 2 What country can you have multiple wives?
- 3 How common is polygamy in Indonesia?
- 4 Which country has highest polygamy?
- 5 What is the legal age to get married in Indonesia?
- 6 How many wives can you have in Malaysia?
- 7 Can I marry two wives in USA?
- 8 Can you be married in 2 different countries?
- 9 What is having two wives called?
- 10 Can foreigners get married in Indonesia?
- 11 What are the three types of polygamy?
- 12 How many wives can Mormons have?
- 13 Can you have 2 wives in Australia?
- 14 Do concubines still exist?
Can you have more than one wife in Indonesia?
12, 2015) As of July 22, 2015, Indonesia’s Defense Ministry has explicitly allowed employees to enter into polygamous marriages. (Defense Ministry Permits Polygamy, JAKARTA POST (Aug. 7, 2015).) Such marriages are legal in Indonesia in limited circumstances under the Marriage Law.
What country can you have multiple wives?
Countries that recognize polygamous marriages
- Central African Republic.
- Republic of the Congo.
- Gabon: Both men and women can join in polygamous marriage with the other gender under Gabonese law. In practice, the right to multiple spouses is reserved for men only.
How common is polygamy in Indonesia?
Indonesian local media reported that just 897 polygamous marriages were registered in 2018, but with most avoiding official registration, Ms Nurmila estimated that up to 5 per cent of people in Indonesia could be practicing polygamy.
Which country has highest polygamy?
In many countries, marriages are governed by religious or customary law, which means that oversight is in the hands of clerics or community leaders. Polygamy is most often found in sub-Saharan Africa, where 11% of the population lives in arrangements that include more than one spouse.
What is the legal age to get married in Indonesia?
While the legal age of marriage is 21 according to the 1974 Marriage Law, marriage dispensation allows for children to get married at an earlier age.
How many wives can you have in Malaysia?
Under Malaysian law, it is legal for Muslim men to marry as many as four wives, although they must obtain permission from an Islamic, or shariah, court to marry more than one.
Can I marry two wives in USA?
United States Polygamy is the act or condition of a person marrying another person while still being lawfully married to another spouse. It is illegal in the United States. The crime is punishable by a fine, imprisonment, or both, according to the law of the individual state and the circumstances of the offense.
Can you be married in 2 different countries?
Note that it does not matter that he married his other wife in a different country. In U.S. immigration law, a marriage anywhere in the world is still a marriage. USCIS might take another look at whether your marriage was bona fide to begin with, as opposed to being a sham to get a green card.
What is having two wives called?
Polyamory and polygamy are both gender-neutral terms. They can refer to women having multiple partners of any gender, men having multiple partners of any gender, or nonbinary people having partners of any gender. Polygyny specifically refers to a man who has multiple wives.
Can foreigners get married in Indonesia?
Indonesian authorities require all non-Indonesian citizens to obtain a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage from their Embassy prior to marriage in Indonesia. To obtain the No Impediment to Marriage, the U.S. citizen must come personally to the Embassy and sign the Statement before a Consular Officer.
What are the three types of polygamy?
Polygamy exists in three specific forms:
- Polygyny, wherein a man has multiple simultaneous wives.
- Polyandry, wherein a woman has multiple simultaneous husbands.
- Group marriage, wherein the family unit consists of multiple husbands and multiple wives of legal age.
How many wives can Mormons have?
It has always permitted and continues to permit men to be married in Mormon temples “for the eternities” to more than one wife. This tension between private belief and public image makes polygamy a sensitive subject for Mormons even today.
Can you have 2 wives in Australia?
Polygamy in Australia is illegal. In Australia, it is a criminal offence to marry a person when already married to another, and is called bigamy. Bigamy is the act of going through a marriage ceremony; polygamy is the practice of having more than one spouse at one time.
Do concubines still exist?
In 1949, the Communists banned the practice, seeing it as a sign of bourgeois decadence, but now, after two decades of market economy, concubines have returned – the “ernai”, meaning “second wife”.